Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Veteran tackle signs with Bills

Post by Kansas City Chiefs jerseys
The Buffalo Bills went into the offseason needing to address their offensive line problems. They hope they took a step in that direction with free agent tackle Cornell Green, who signed a three-year contract on Monday worth $9 million, according to league sources.
Green was the second offensive linemen the Bills brought in since free agency started last Friday. They visited with Kansas City Chiefs free agent Wade Smith on Saturday. Smith left town without a contract, but the Bills weren't about to let Green get away.
"I had an opportunity to visit a couple of other teams, but Buffalo made me feel real comfortable," he said during a conference call Monday night. "Everything was first class here. I feel comfortable coming here. I feel comfortable moving my family here. I'm glad to have an opportunity to play over here."
Green's signing won't generate a lot of buzz, but the Bills had to fortify the tackle position with the surprise retirement of Brad Butler, last season's opening-day starting right tackle, and Demetrius Bell coming back from knee surgery. Kirk Chambers, Jamon Meredith and Andre Ramsey are the other tackles on the roster.
The Bills are still expected to select a left tackle in the first round of next month's draft, but they wanted to add a proven veteran to the mix.
The 6-foot-6, 315-pound Green has played for four teams in 12 NFL seasons, the last three in Oakland, and has started 46 career games.
Signed by Atlanta as an undrafted rookie out of Central Florida, Green spent his first two years with the New York Jets but wasn't active for any games. He played in Denver and Tampa Bay twice, including the year when the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in 2002.
Green is expected to line up on the right side for the Bills.
"I've been playing right tackle for most of my career, so I'm very comfortable there," he said. "It's not going to be a transition at all with me trying to come into that position."
Green started all 16 games in 2008 and 12 last season for the Raiders. He missed four games in the first half of last season with a calf injury.
The Raiders chose not to re-sign Green because of his age (he'll be 34 in August) and his uneven play (he committed 12 penalties in 12 games last season).
Also, he was arrested in Florida a year ago this month on a domestic violence charge.
On May 26, Green was given 12 months probation for the misdemeanor offense, according to Hillsborough County Circuit Court records.
"Last year the issue I went through was unfortunate," Green said. "I learned and grew from that and I just moved past that. My girl and I are together now and we're just looking forward to the future and being a part of the Buffalo Bills."

No comments:

Post a Comment