Friday, March 12, 2010

Arizona re-signs Bridges; LBs Porter, Foote visit

Post by Washington Redskins jerseys
The Arizona Cardinals have re-signed offensive tackle Jeremy Bridges(notes) to a three-year contract and, in what could portend a far more significant development, welcomed free agent linebackers Joey Porter(notes) and Larry Foote(notes) for a visit.
Quarterback Derek Anderson(notes), released by the Cleveland Browns this week, is scheduled to be in Tempe to meet with the Cardinals on Friday.
Bridges appeared in all 16 regular-season games at left tackle, four as a starter, for Arizona last season.
When they visited the Cardinals’ training facility on Thursday, Porter and Foote saw several coaches and players from their days with Pittsburgh.
Porter, a four-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker, was released by the Miami Dolphins. He was with the Steelers from 1999 to 2007.
Foote, an inside linebacker, led Detroit in tackles last season despite missing two games. He started every game for Pittsburgh from 2004 to 2008.
Porter said Arizona was his first stop since becoming a free agent because it is relatively close to his hometown of Bakersfield, Calif., and because of the presence of Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and assistant head coach Russ Grimm. Both coaches were with the Steelers when Porter was there.
“I was looking to play for a West Coast team and I know everything Whiz is about,” Porter said. “He had me over there in Pittsburgh for eight years so I don’t have to be blindsided by some new coaches and trying to wonder how I fit. I know exactly how I fit. I know how he would try and use me if I was here and I am just trying to be a piece to the puzzle that’s already there.”
He disagreed with those who say his decrease in playing time in Miami signals a downward slide in his abilities.
“I’ve got a lot left,” Porter said. “All you have to do is turn on the tape and I feel like I don’t have to sell myself. What I did on the football field is going to sell that for me. With my role being reduced to the playing time I did have and missing three games, I still mustered up enough to lead the team (with nine sacks).”
Foote said “it would be a dream come true” for him to be reunited with Whisenhunt, Porter and ex-Steelers linebacker Clark Haggans(notes).
“We had so many good times in Pittsburgh and built that brother relationship and bond,” Foote said. “It would just be a blessing if we can make it happen.”
He would replace Karlos Dansby(notes), who signed a $43 million, five-year contract with Miami, with $22 million guaranteed.
Anderson is coming to town as the Cardinals look for someone to compete with Matt Leinart(notes), the only quarterback the team has under contract after Kurt Warner’s(notes) retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment