Monday, March 15, 2010

Mock draft 5.0: New No. 1 overall pick, but it's still not Stafford

Post by Carolina Panthers jerseys

Spending the better part of the week at the NFL Annual Meeting provided another set of clues as to what teams were thinking for the draft. My Sirius Radio show partner, Tim Ryan, and I interviewed 13 head coaches, 12 general managers and four owners at the meetings.

Club officials were not going to come right out and say who they wanted to select, but they were able to talk about what is important to them. As one GM said, "We will not be taking one player with any off-the-field issues." Another GM said, "We have to get bigger on defense, especially at the linebacker position." The Lions want their first pick signed before the draft, so that will be a determining factor.

I feel like I'm getting closer to what may actually happen on April 25, but there is still time left and a few critical pro days to finish up. I have completed an eight-game film study of Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman, and I have a much better feel for what they are all about and where they might fit in the draft. I also got a chance to watch tape of every one of Knowshon Moreno's runs last season, as well as looking at two tapes for each of the top five offensive tackles in the draft.

Here's a look at my latest mock draft, version 5.0, as well as what each team might do in the second round. The order is different in the second round, so the selection number is indicated next to the pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment